The Ministry of Economy in the United Arab Emirates is the competent authority to register and protect intellectual property in the UAE. You can register a trademark, copyright and patent through the ministry’s website.
Q). What is registration of Trademarks in UAE?
According to Federal Decree Law No. 36 of 2021 on Trademarks, a trademark is any distinguished form of names, words, signatures, letters, figures, graphics, logos, titles, hallmarks, seals, pictures, patterns, announcements, packs or any other marks or group of marks, if they were used or intended to be used either to distinguish goods, products or services from whatever sources, or to indicate that certain services, goods or products belong to the owner of the trademark, because of their provision, manufacturing, selection or trading. The voice accompanying a trademark is considered a part of it.
Q). How to register a trademark in UAE?
Ministry of Economy is the competent authority to register trademarks in the UAE. To register a trademark, customer can submit an online application via the ministry’s website. Registration documents include:
- Trademark logo
- A copy of the commercial licence
- Power of Attorney
- Priority document
- Passport copy
- Other attachments.
Q). Who can register a trademark in UAE?
According to the above law, the following persons can register their trademarks:
- The UAE citizens and natural and artificial persons practising any commercial, industrial, professional or service business
- Foreigners and natural and artificial persons practising any commercial, industrial, professional or service business
- Foreigners and natural and artificial persons practising any commercial, industrial, professional or service business in any country on basis of reciprocity
- Other artificial persons.
Q). How to register Copyrights in UAE?
According to Federal Law No. 38 of 2021 on Copyrights and Neighboring Rights, an intellectual work is any original work in the areas of literature, arts or science, whatever its description, form of expression, significance or purpose. The following intellectual works are protected under copyrights law:
- Books, booklets, articles and other literature
- Computer software and applications, databases and similar works defined in a decision to be issued by the Minister of Economy
- Lectures, speeches, sermons and other works of similar nature
- Plays, musicals and pantomimes
- Musicals accompanied by dialogues and musicals which are not accompanied by dialogue
- Audio and video works or audio-visual works
- Architectural work and architectural plans and drawings
- Drawings, paintings, sculptures, etchings, lithography, screen printing, reliefs and intaglio prints and other similar works of fine art
- Photographic work and the likes
- Works of applied art and plastic art
- Charts, maps, plans, 3-D modelling for geographical and topographical applications and architectural designs etc.
- Derivative works, subject to the protection afforded to the work(s) upon which they are based. The protection shall extend to the title of the work, if created, as well as the creative concept devised for broadcast material.
Q). How to register Intellectual work in UAE?
Ministry of Economy is the competent authority to register intellectual works in the UAE. To register intellectual works, you can submit an online application via the ministry’s website.
What is the duration of protection for registered intellectual work in UAE?
According to Article 20 of Federal Law No. 7 of 2002 on Copyrights and related rights, the economic rights of the author under this Law shall be protected for the duration of his life plus 50 years starting from the first day of the calendar year following his death. Economic rights of applied art works expires after 25 years, which start from the first day of the calendar year following their first publication.
Q). What all are eligible to be registered for Patents in UAE?
According to Federal Law No. 31 of 2016, promulgated by Law No. 17 of 2002 on Regulation and Protection of Industrial Property of Patents, Industrial Drawings and Designs, a patent protection in the UAE is granted for any new invention resulting from an innovative idea or innovative improvement of an invention in all fields of technology, provided that such an idea or innovative improvement has a scientific basis and is applicable. The invention shall be deemed industrially applicable in its broadest term if used or utilised in such fields as agriculture, fisheries, handicrafts and services. Examples of patents that are not protected include:
- Researches, plant and animal species, and biological methods for production of animal and plant excluding microbiological methods and their products
- Diagnostic methods, treatments and surgical operations needed for humans and animals
- Scientific and mathematical principles, discoveries and methods
- Guidelines, rules or methods followed to conduct business, perform mental activities or play games
- Invention that may lead to violation of public order or morals.
Q) How to register Patents in UAE?
International Centre for Patent Registration (ICPR) under Ministry of Economy is the competent authority to register patents in the UAE. To register a patent, you can submit an online application via the ministry’s website. Learn about the documents required for registration of a patent on the website of Ministry of Economy.
Why Spectrum Auditing?
Reach out to Spectrum Auditing for further details in order to assist you with everything related to IP in UAE. Call us today for any kind of assistance at +971 4 2699329 or email [email protected] to get all your queries addressed. Spectrum is your partner in your success.