The setting up of a new company is called Company Formation or Company Registration. The United Arab Emirates controls the whole process of company formation through its corporate law.
A company in UAE can be formed in any of the following three ways:
- Mainland – The licensing authority in mainland is the Department of Economic Development of the respective emirates.
- Free Zone – In Free Zones, the relevant Free Zone Authority will be the licensing authority
- Offshore – Offshore Authority is the licensing authority in case of Offshore jurisdiction
Types of Business License:
Business Licenses issued in United Arab Emirates (UAE) depends on the business activity of the company and it can be one of the following:
- Professional – The professional license covers services offered by professionals, artisans and craftsmen
- Commercial – the commercial license covers all trading and commercial activities performed with an intention of making profit
- Industrial – the industrial license covers all industrial and manufacturing activities
Tourism –The tourism license covers all activities related to hospitality & tourism.
The common legal forms of business in Mainland, Free zone and Offshore formation in the UAE are:
Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Private Share Holding Company
Public Share Holding Company
Branch of Foreign Companies / Representative Office
Branch of GCC companies
Branch of Free zone company
Branch of Dubai based companies
Branch of UAE based companies